Tuesday, January 1, 2008

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Well, my first 36 hours back in Louisville have been eventful to say the least. It all started yesterday morning when Bekah and I decided to get a head start on our new years resolutions and workout. Unfortunately, the gym was closed and it was too cold to walk outside. So, at 23 years of age, I have officially begun my career as a "mall-walker". Yes, that's right, I went mall-walking, at a real mall, with real people in it (one of whom we just happen to know rather well..how utterly embarrassing!) We laughed at ourselves the entire time, but let me tell you--the workout goes by much more quickly when you're looking in store windows and people watching. I highly recommend the mall walk. :)

A few hours later, after making several phone calls to confirm new years eve plans, I got a panicked (is that really how you spell that word?) phone call from my friend Lindsay who had found a mouse on one of those sticky mouse traps that Bekah and I had purchased earlier in the day. Since she had already called every boy we know in Louisville and no one was available, and since I have had experience with the sticky mousetraps after a mouse incident in college, I came to her rescue, disposed of the mouse (after screaming and jumping around the kitchen for a few moments and finding every pair of protective gloves and clothing in the house!).

I went home and showered (with extra soap!), and got ready to meet the girls for a nice dinner out for new year's. I'll spare the details of the evening, but we had lots of laughing, fun conversation and some pretty darn good food :) (a yummy way to ring in the new year). Here we are at J. Alexander's after a lovely meal :)


After we rang in the new year, I spent the night with Lindsay, since she wasn't ready to combat another mouse should another one appear on one of the other 5 traps throughout the house.

We got up this morning, and found ourselves watching this special on gastric bypass surgery on the discovery channel. We immediately put on our walking shoes and decided we needed to exercise--pronto. (It was quite disturbing!) We went to Cherokee Park and began the very hilly 2.4 mile scenic loop.
About half-way through our walk, it started to snow. The pretty white flurries soon turned into a massive blizzard, which we were not prepared for. We braved the rest of the loop, with numb faces, hands, and toes. When we got back to her car, we noticed that her back tire looked a little low, so we immediately drove to the gas station, where we had to maneuver the tire valve covers, the air pump, and the tire gauge--with frozen fingers--in a blizzard. Quite the show for all of the gas station patrons, I must say. We rewarded ourselves with some yummy gumbo from J. Gumbo's, and went back to Lindsay's house to watch the rest of the Cincinatti/Louisville basketball game. A bunch of friends from church came over and we made tacos, played cranium, and watched the snow fall.

As I write this, I'm sitting in my living room, cuddled up in my new pajama's from the Spruills (THANKS!), sipping hot chocolate, and getting ready to work on a new scarf I'm knitting. I can't wait to get to work tomorrow to play with the girls in the snow!!! All in all, a WONDERFUL way to start off 2008!

May your 2008 be full of good friends and great memories, and may you be conformed more and more into the image of God!

No comments: