Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thanks Mom!

My mom has a great sense of humor, so when I opened up my birthday package from her last week I thought it must have been a joke. What I found in the box was a pair of "tater mitts". Yes that's right, kitchen mitts that actually peel potatoes. Who knew these things existed? Apparently my mom did...and when I called to thank her for the gift I found out she wasn't joking! (She even bought a pair for my sister in law!)

So of course two days later when I got an email about our Easter dinner potluck--the only thing that was left on the list was mashed potatoes. What perfect timing to try out the "tater mitts"...below, is my photo diary of my attempt at using the tater mitts.

Tater Mitts!! The box claims that you can peel a potato in 8 seconds...hmmm...

Out of the box, they look like rubber gloves with plastic nerd candies attached. Let's give 'em a go!

Here's a "before picture" of the potatoes...5 lbs= about 12-14 potatoes. At 8 seconds a potato, it should take less than 2 minutes to complete!

...so over 30 minutes later, this is what the potatoes looked like...

...and this is what the gloves looked like...how do you clean these things??

The Tater Mitts also included a "free" vegetable dicer. I'll spare the details, but let's just say, wet potatoes+wet counter+not so sharp vegetable dicer=a lot of laughter!

After another 20 minutes of "dicing", the potatoes were finally ready to be boiled!
And, the final product... (ok, so I actually forgot to take a picture of the final product, but mine looked a lot like these!)



Now let's analyze the back of the box... 8 seconds per potato? Hardly. It took at least 2 minutes to do each potato. If by a "few quick strokes" they meant "vigorously rub each potato until you are sweating and feeling the burn in your arms", then yes--it only took a few quick strokes. :) "Perfectly peeled in an instant", eh? There was nothing perfect, nor instant about this whole process...

The Tater Mitts were fun to try--and at least it's made for a fun story and a good blog post..but really, that's about all they're good for. If you ever happen upon these online, in a store, or on a tv infomercial, get as far away as possible! :)

2 comments:

ginger said...

Ok! I've seen these and wondered... now I know. You are too funny girl. Sorry I missed you birthday... now I know.

By the way, the girls are chomping at the bit to do their planting craft project. Thank you Chand!

Anonymous said...

Tater Mitts... why didn't I think of that?