Saturday, April 26, 2008

13.1, 2:51, 7388


13.1 miles, in 2 hours and 51 minutes, finishing 7388 out of 12,000 participants. Not too shabby for my first half marathon! :) (This is the actual picture from the starting line this morning!!)

This morning was the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon and Mini-Marathon. My friend Stephanie and I did the mini--13.1 miles through downtown Louisville.


One of the most encouraging things about the race was seeing so many different people wearing shirts with Scripture written across the back. I must have read at least 4 or 5 different verses throughout the run (and of course I saw some of the same ones on a bunch of different shirts). God was all around me the entire race--it was like one big 3 hour long quiet time that I just happened to be running on. How sweet!

While the race itself was hard, I found the Lord really challenging me to think about how a marathon (or half marathon in this case) is such a great metaphor for the Christian life. The discipline of training, grace for the days that training doesn't happen, perseverance to continue training even when it's cold and wet and rainy outside, more grace for when you curl up in blankets on those days instead of training, grace to continue on in obedience, etc.

The Christian life is not a sprint. It's not something that you just decide to do one day, never train for, and then try to run the short distance as hard as you can. It's a marathon. It's lots of little runs that help you finish the long run. It's small steps of discipline and obedience that lead to big steps of discipline and obedience. It's about persevering even when the hills come and your legs feel like they're going to fall out under you. It's about continuing to put one foot in front of the other even when you aren't sure where the course is taking you. It's about hitting "the wall" in mile 11 and deciding in your heart, and in your legs, that you aren't going to let anything get in your way of crossing the finish line--and you press on. And then, at mile 13 when the finish line is so close, you realize that you're actually going to finish--that you haven't been running in vain, but that you've been running the race marked out for you--and now you're almost there--about to capture the prize (in this case, a commemorative finishers medal!), and you press on.

The Christian life is about pressing on. and on. and on. In the face of adversity. In the uphills and downhills of life. In the missed "training sessions" and poor "training decisions". In the "mile 11 walls" when everything in you screams disbelief that you can actually stay the course and finish the race. You keep pressing on--one foot in front of the other--one act of obedience in front of the other. And pretty soon you're at mile 13, and the finish line is right in front you. But the prize for finishing well in the Christian life is far better than a commemorative finishers medal--it's eternity with Christ! Oh that we would run the race with endurance! :)

Here are some pictures from the day--I'm definitely ready to find another half marathon to run--who's in??


Here I am, at 5:00AM, getting ready to head out to the starting line...I was a little excited :)




This is me and Steph AFTER the race.. Stephanie walked/ran it in 3 hours and 32 minutes! I'm so proud of her!! :) Her sister Jackie (a dear friend) was sweet to bring us sunflowers at the finish line!

Here are my smelly shoes. They have been officially retired due to too many miles!! :) (Never thought I'd have to retire sneakers for that!)

And of course...after a long race, a pedicure is DEFINITELY in order!! (Too bad I lost a toenail (it's a hazard of running!) Can anyone tell which toe?? Bonus points if you get it right the first time!!) :)


We sent our medals off to be engraved (we're nerds!!), so I'll post a picture of mine when I get it next week! :)


...now seriously...who's in for the next one?! Let me know. It will change your life. :)

1 comment:

ginger said...

Yay Chandler! You my girl are amazing (in sooo many ways!) Your post was gripping to the end! Our MS150 ride is this weekend. I hope to be able to post successful results too. Stay tuned!