Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Don't Let Me Lose My Wonder...

"When the fear of the Lord is forgotten-we no longer catch our breath at the sight of a rainbow or the scent of a rose, as we once did… We no longer run our fingers through the water, no longer shout at the stars , or make faces at the moon. Certainly, the new can amaze us: the latest computer game, the softest diaper. Till tomorrow, till the new becomes old, till yesterday's wonder is discarded or taken for granted.

As civilization advances, the sense of wonder declines. We get so preoccupied with ourselves, the words we speak, the plans and projects we conceive that we become immune to the glory of creation. We barely notice the cloud passing over the moon or the dewdrops clinging to the rose leaves. The ice on the pond comes and goes. The wild black­berries ripen and wither. The blackbird nests outside our bed­room window: We don't see her. We avoid the cold and the heat. We refrigerate ourselves in summer and entomb our­selves in plastic in winter. We rake up every leaf as fast as it falls. We are so accustomed to buying prepackaged meats and fish and fowl in supermarkets we never think and blink about the bounty of Gods creation. We grow complacent and lead practical lives. We miss the experience of awe, reverence, and wonder!" Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel

Don't Let Me Lose My Wonder (Keith and Kristyn Getty)

I've seen days melt into nights, in circles of lights,
I've watched a spider spin a star between the window box flowers,
I've heard you laugh and cry in a single sigh, and a story form within.

Don't let me lose my wonder.
Don't let me lose my wonder.

I saw her broken, dreams inside, but helping others fly,
I saw his eyes, without a doubt, though other lights faded out,
And though her calling roared, such graciousness flowed
From the vision of her soul.

A baby cried through the dark beneath a jeweled spark,
I knew Your voice upon the hill and heard my lostness still,
I found my home in the light, where wrong was made right
And You rose like the morning star.

Don't let me lose my wonder
Don't let me lose my wonder.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the song is beautiful ... but I do not understand why did cite a "gospel" that
not a Christian? I believe the Bible is enough for us.

blessings