Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Must Read.


I just finished the book Family Driven Faith by Voddie Baucham, Jr. and I have to say, I think every family (or every person who wants to have a family someday) should read this book. I had to read it for one of my classes, but I am so glad that I did.

In this book Voddie lays a foundation to reclaim the parents as the primary people responsible for the discipleship of their children--not the children's minister or the youth pastor, or even the senior pastor of the church; not the Christian school teachers or Sunday school teachers--but the parents. He gives examples of his own families failure of this in the past, and how they are seeking to change.

The biggest thing I took away from this book was the need for daily family devotions. The Baucham's are reading through a catechism in the mornings (like Westminster, Sprugeon's, etc), reading one question and then discussing what it means, and then singing a few worship songs and praying. At night before bed they are reading through the entire Bible in a year---all as a family. What an incredible way to model quiet times and devotion to the Lord as a family--to train and disciple children in the fear and admonition of the Lord, and to grow closer together as a family in the process.

I'm not saying that everything in the book is for everyone--and either is he. The Baucham's homeschool all of their children (even in high school), and attend a church with no youth group, children's ministry or nursery. However, their commitment to family worship and discipleship is one that all parents can benefit from reading about.

I try to limit the number of books I recommend to busy moms and dads (because who has time to read??), but I really think this one is worth the read. It's not too long (I read it in two days) so I'm sure that if you read it a chapter a night before bed you'd have it done in no time.

Check it out, and let me know what you think. :)

No comments: